[R] Calculating large determinants

Ravi Varadhan rvaradhan at jhmi.edu
Wed Dec 5 15:30:56 CET 2007

Hi Murray,

A likely reason for the observed information matrix not to be positive
definite is the inaccuracies in the numerical estimation of the scores.  You
might want to try more accurate methods (e.g. Richardson extrapolation) for
approximating numerical derivatives, such as available in the package
"numDeriv".   This would likely alleviate your problem.

Please disregard my advice, if you are using analytical, closed-form
expressions for the scores.  In this case, you might try the approaches
suggested by Martin.

Ravi.

-------

Ravi Varadhan, Ph.D.

Assistant Professor, The Center on Aging and Health

Johns Hopkins University

Ph: (410) 502-2619

Fax: (410) 614-9625

Email: rvaradhan at jhmi.edu