[R] Is R portable?

Gabor Csardi csardi at rmki.kfki.hu
Tue Dec 4 18:17:12 CET 2007

Yes, it is indeed true for other systems as well, although
some configuration problems might arise, at least on Linux.

It is also true that there are several small Linux distributions
which easily fit into a flash drive, and then you can boot from the
flash drive. I used to use SLAX, this is module based, ie. you can
choose which packages to install into the flash drive, and it has an R
package, although R version 2.2, so it is outdated. But i'm sure
there are more options, eg. Damn Small Linux is popular, i believe it
is desktop oriented, so might not contain R by default.

I used to install my whole Linux system into a small (ie. notebook)
USB harddisk, this is very comfortable, you just boot from the
harddisk and wehereever you are you get the same system (assuming you
can find a PC, but usually this is not a problem). It was a bit
slower, but much more comfortable than bringing a notebook with me
all the time. Until i accidentally kicked down the harddisk from the
desk...

Gabor

Csardi Gabor <csardi at rmki.kfki.hu>    MTA RMKI, ELTE TTK