[R] strsplit on comma, with a trailing comma in input

dankelley Dan.Kelley at dal.ca
Tue Dec 4 00:22:36 CET 2007

I have a comma-separated data file in which trailing commas sometimes occur.
I am using strsplit to extract the data from this file, and it seems great
except in cases with trailing comma characters.

The example below illustrates.  What I'd like is to get a fourth element in
the answer, being an empty string just like the second element.  Is there a
way I can express my patter (or perhaps specify perl or extended) to get
that?

> strsplit("a,,b,", ",")[[1]]