[R] documenting yoru progress

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Mon Dec 3 13:41:30 CET 2007

On 12/2/2007 6:24 PM, Tom Sgouros wrote:
> Hello all:
>
> I have a function that writes a fairly elaborate report based on some
> survey data.  For documentation and bookkeeping purposes, I'd like to
> write out in the report the function call that produced the report, or
> at least enough information to help me recreate the steps that led to
> that report.  I've been generating all the reports with scripts, in
> order to be able to recreate the steps, but apart from the file name, I
> don't yet have a way to match the report to the script that created it.
>
> Can anyone suggest easy ways to do this?  From within a function, is the
> function call text available somehow, or the names of the arguments used
> in the function invocation?

I think Gabor has answered your question directly, but another approach
to solve the same underlying problem might be to work with Sweave.   (Or
ODFweave, etc.)

These allow you to mix R code right into a document that explains the
reasoning and includes both the input and output of the script.

Duncan Murdoch