[R] Quantiles and QQ plots

Bill.Venables at csiro.au Bill.Venables at csiro.au
Sat Dec 1 07:54:09 CET 2007

-----Original Message-----
From: r-help-bounces at r-project.org [mailto:r-help-bounces at r-project.org]
On Behalf Of alfieim29
Sent: Saturday, 1 December 2007 9:26 AM
To: r-help at r-project.org
Subject: [R] Quantiles and QQ plots

I have 20 variables:

5,9,6,1,5,9,7,4,5,6,3,2,4,8,9,6,1,8,4,8

[WNV] I think you have 20 values, not variables.

How do I calculate the corresponding quantiles from a normal
distribution
with the same mean and variance as the sample?

[WNV] There is some ambiguity about this, but a simple way to do it
would be

x <- c(5,9,6,1,5,9,7,4,5,6,3,2,4,8,9,6,1,8,4,8)
n <- length(x)
p <- (1:n - 0.5)/n
z <- qnorm(p, mean(x), sd(x))[order(order(x))]

Also, how do I draw a QQ plot of the data?

[WNV] having done all this you can now just

plot(z, x)

but a much simpler way is

qqnorm(x)
qqline(x)

and don't bother calculating all that stuff!

Thanks for any help!