[R] Additions to xyplot (lattice)? - legend, ticks, axis label size, text

Deepayan Sarkar deepayan.sarkar at gmail.com
Fri Aug 31 22:35:26 CEST 2007

On 8/31/07, Dave Hewitt <dhewitt at vims.edu> wrote:
> At 12:47 PM 8/30/2007 -0700, deepayan.sarkar at gmail.com wrote:
> >On 8/30/07, Dave Hewitt <dhewitt at vims.edu> wrote:
> > > Thank you very much... simple and easy fixes.
> > >
> > > Three"final" queries:
> > >
> > > (1) I need to make a little more room on the left for the larger axis
> > > label. I tried 'mex' in the list for ylab but that was ignored.
> >
> >It's possible, but shouldn't be necessary. Can you provide a
> >reproducible example which shows why you need this?
>
> I definitely can if needed, but... it's not that the axis label doesn't
> fit, it's just that I'd like a little more white space. So it may not match
> up with standard rules, but it's for a specific purpose. Please let me know
> how to adjust it.

Add something like

par.settings = list(layout.widths = list(ylab = 2))

> Also, might this interact with my choice of plot size prior to production,
> with:
>
> win.graph(width = 10, height = 7)

Do you want it to interact? I don't think width and height matter, but
pointsize (or whatever its equivalent for win.graph) might.

> > > (2) Is it possible to place a tick at each year on the x-axis, but only
> > > label every other year?
> >
> >Not in those terms, but you can explicitly specify labels as
> >
> >scales = list(x = list(at = c(1, 2, 3), labels = c("a", "", "c")))
> >
> >etc.
>
> So no ticks without labels, as specified by the user? The above generates
> only ticks with labels.

Yes, but the second label is blank (""). Why is that not enough?

For finer control of tick marks and labels, you can specify a custom
function that computes these. See ?xscale.components.default, but this
is not very well documented and you will have to look into the sources
a bit.

-Deepayan