[R] gsub warning message

Talbot Katz topkatz at msn.com
Fri Aug 31 20:30:24 CEST 2007

Thank you for the swift response.  It looks like the code works the same way
with or without the "\\" in either the search string: { "\\_+" or "_+" }  or
the replacement string: { "\\." or "." }.  I tested this in Windows and
Linux (although we're still on R 2.4.1 in Linux).  It's not clear to me why
I can use either two slashes or no slash safely, but not one slash, and it
makes me vaguely uneasy.  Obviously, I need to review regular expressions,
but my usual sources, such as http://perldoc.perl.org/perlre.html, don't
seem to address this issue.  I wonder whether there's a good document
explaining this.

--  TMK  --
212-460-5430	home
917-656-5351	cell