[R] size limitations in R

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at gmail.com
Fri Aug 31 18:11:30 CEST 2007

SAS was developed many years ago when computers were far
less powerful so its heritage is that it is very efficient and its unlikely
that R or other modern software will match SAS in that respect.

The development version of the sqldf R package provides an interface
which simplifies the use of the R package RSQLite which in turn is an
interface to the sqlite database.  The development version of
sqldf supports RSQLite's ability to read a file directly to sqlite without
going through R and then reading it from there or reading a subset of it
from there into R.  See example 6 on the sqldf home page:

http://code.google.com/p/sqldf/