[R] Incomplete Gamma function

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Fri Aug 31 15:06:42 CEST 2007

On Fri, 31 Aug 2007, Robin Hankin wrote:

> Hi Kris
>

> lgamma() gives the log of the gamma function.

Yes, but he used Igamma.  According to ?pgamma,

      'pgamma' is closely related to the incomplete gamma function.  As
      defined by Abramowitz and Stegun 6.5.1

          P(a,x) = 1/Gamma(a) integral_0^x t^(a-1) exp(-t) dt

      P(a, x) is 'pgamma(x, a)'.  Other authors (for example Karl
      Pearson in his 1922 tables) omit the normalizing factor, defining
      the incomplete gamma function as 'pgamma(x, a) * gamma(a)'.

and that seems to be what Igamma is following.  GSL on the other hand has
the other tail, so

> a <- 9
> x <- 11.1
> pgamma(x, a, lower=FALSE)*gamma(a)
[1] 9000.501

> You need gamma_inc() of the gsl package, a wrapper for the
> GSL library:
>
> > gamma_inc(9,11.1)
> [1] 9000.501

As the above shows, you don't *need* this, but you do need the GSL
documentation to find out what R package gsl does.  Why it differs from
the usual references is something for you to explain.  Wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incomplete_gamma_function
distinguishes them, as does MathWorld.

I suggest you add a clarification to the gsl package as to what the
'incomplete gamma function' means there.