[R] customizing the color and point shape for each line drawn using lattice's xyplot

Gen gingerlygen at gmail.com
Thu Aug 30 06:50:35 CEST 2007

Description of what I am trying to do:
I am using the xyplot code below to plot the variable “MeanBxg” against the
variable “PercentVarExplained” for all 9 possible combinations of variables
“bdg” and “bdx”.  Within each of these 9 scenarios I am plotting a separate
line for each of up to 9 different methods that I used to estimate the
variable MeanBxg. These methods are identified by the numeric variable
called “Method.”  Giving me one plot with 9 figures and each of the figures
contains 9 lines.

My problem arises because I would like to repeat the creation of this plot 8
times, in each instance only a subset (eg 6) of the 9 methods are used (a
different subset each time).

What I can’t figure out:
I would like to learn how to specify the exact line color that corresponds
to each method such that Method==1 will always be represented by the same
color (in every plot that it appears in).  Where two methods that I used
were of the same family of methods (say method==1 and method==2 made the
same assumptions about the data)  I would like to, if possible, represent
the two methods using the same color and distinguish them by the symbol used
to represent points on the line.

My code as it currently stands:
xyplot(MeanBxg ~ PercentVarExplained | bdg.f * bdx.f, data=common,
groups=common$Method.f, type="l", subset= Method!=4, auto.key=T)

As the code is, the default colors assigned are repeated causing different
methods to be represented by the same color with no way to distinguish them
(I have not succeeded in plotting lines and points simultaneously).

Side question: When I subset the data to particular methods, is there a way
to remove the excluded methods from the key as well? (in my code “Method” is
a numeric variable, and “Method.f” corresponds to the lengthy descriptions
of each method for the purpose of the key)

Thank you very much for your help.
Genevieve