[R] Excel

Philippe Grosjean phgrosjean at sciviews.org
Thu Aug 30 03:01:24 CEST 2007

I think that one big problem of Excel regarding readability of the
calculation done is its non linear nature: mixing data and calculation
on a 2D grid could look nice at first sight, but indeed, it turns into a
nightmare to understand all the calculations actually done.

On the counterpart, reading a R script is like reading a book: providing
you understand the language, the R script tells you a story from the
beginning (reading of the raw data) to the end (final graphs and tables)
in a linear way.

Thus, it is the concept of Excel itself (the 2D/3D interactive
spreadsheet) that makes it confusing. All the "nice" things you can do
with Excel will never save it for the time lost to understand what a
spreadsheet does (and thus, to debug it, or slightly change its
calculation).

Best,

Philippe Grosjean