[R] Factor levels

Sébastien pomchip at free.fr
Tue Aug 28 19:36:24 CEST 2007

Dear R-users,

I have found this not-so-recent post in the archives  -
http://tolstoy.newcastle.edu.au/R/devel/00a/0291.html - while I was
looking for a particular way to reorder factor levels. The question
addressed by the author was to know if the read.table function could be
modified to order the levels of newly created factors "according to the
order that they appear in the data file". Exactly what I am looking for.
As there was no reply to this post, I wonder if any move have been made
towards the implementation of this suggestion. A quick look at
?read.table tells me that if this option was implemented, it was not in
the read.table function...

Sebastien

PS: I am sorry to post so many messages on the list, but I am learning R
(basically by trials & errors ;-) ) and no one around me has even a
slight notion about it...