[R] Excel

Robert A LaBudde ral at lcfltd.com
Tue Aug 28 06:49:27 CEST 2007

If you format the column as "Text", you won't have this problem. By
leaving the cells as "General", you leave it up to Excel to guess at
the correct interpretation.

You will note that the conversion to a date occurs immediately in
Excel when you enter the value. There are many formats to enter dates.

Either pre-format the column as Text, or prefix the individual entry
with an ' to indicate text.

A similar problem occurs in R's read.table() function when a factor
has levels that can be interpreted as numbers.

Robert A. LaBudde, PhD, PAS, Dpl. ACAFS  e-mail: ral at lcfltd.com
Least Cost Formulations, Ltd.            URL: http://lcfltd.com/
824 Timberlake Drive                     Tel: 757-467-0954
Virginia Beach, VA 23464-3239            Fax: 757-467-2947

"Vere scire est per causas scire"