[R] FAQ 7.x when 7 does not exist. Useability question

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Mon Aug 27 15:39:14 CEST 2007

On 8/27/2007 8:52 AM, John Kane wrote:
> --- Duncan Murdoch <murdoch at stats.uwo.ca> wrote:

>> I like the first, simple suggestion best; I'll put
>> it into R-devel.
>> (With the slight change to use ul.menu instead
>> of just ul, because FAQ 2.7 includes a plain ul
>> list.)
>>
>> Duncan Murdoch
> Thanks Deepayan and Duncan.
>
> It is not a make or break point in using R but it does
> seem to make the FAQ a bit more user-friendly.

I'm about to commit the change, but it's not perfect.  I've applied the
change to the css used in all the manuals, not just the FAQ, so the HTML
versions of the manuals now end up with numbered contents listings too.
  However, appendices continue the chapter numbering, rather than
switching to letters.  I think this is preferable to no numbering at
all, but if others object to it, we can make this change for the FAQ only.

Another way to do this is what's used in the texinfo manual
http://www.gnu.org/software/texinfo/manual/texinfo/texinfo.html
but I find that ugly and inconsistent.  The contents listing gets the
numbering and lettering right (but not well formatted), but within each
chapter the menus are unnumbered.

The texinfo format is just a bit limited for this kind of thing.

Duncan Murdoch