[R] Column naming mystery

Werner Wernersen pensterfuzzer at yahoo.de
Mon Aug 27 11:44:29 CEST 2007

Hi,

I hope somebody could help me explain what seems
mysterious to me?

I use this line on a dataframe ae:
summaryBy(total_inflated+total~gr1, data=ae, FUN=sum,
na.rm=T)

and it returns 3 columns as expected and columns "gr1"
and "total_inflated.sum"are correct but the
"total.sum" column consists of only zeros which is not
correct. The same happens when I rename the
"total_inflated" to "total.inflated" or
"totalinflated" but not when I rename it to
"ttotal_inflated". In the latter case I get the
correct result also for the "total.sum" column.

Could anyone explain the rules for the column naming
to me?

Thank you very much in advance!
  Werner

      Machen Sie Yahoo! zu Ihrer Startseite. Los geht's: