[R] Saving results from Linux command line

Muenchen, Robert A (Bob) muenchen at utk.edu
Fri Aug 24 15:56:17 CEST 2007

Hi All,

I'm used to running R on Windows & learning Linux. I know ESS is the way
to go in the long run, but I'm trying now to just understand the command
line. I can interactively enter commands, see the results on the screen
and save input & output to myresults.txt with this approach:

$script myresults.txt
$R
> ...r commands...
>q()
$exit

I can also use the Linux tee command to do essentially the same thing.

Both of those approaches do what I want, but I assume there is a way to
do it within R. I've been through AITR Appendix B and the FAQ looking
for either a startup option or an R function to do this but I don't see
either. What am I missing?

Thanks,
Bob

Bob Muenchen (pronounced Min'-chen),
Manager, Statistical Consulting Center
U of TN Office of Information Technology
200 Stokely Management Center, Knoxville, TN 37996-0520
Voice: (865) 974-5230
FAX: (865) 974-4810
Email: muenchen at utk.edu
Web: http://oit.utk.edu/scc