[R] Synchronzing workspaces

Barry Rowlingson b.rowlingson at lancaster.ac.uk
Wed Aug 22 15:43:57 CEST 2007

Eric Turkheimer wrote:
> How do people go about synchronizing multiple workspaces on different
> workstations?  I tend to wind up with projects spread around the various
> machines I work on.  I find that placing the directories on a server and
> reading them remotely tends to slow things down.

  If R were to store all its workspace data objects in individual files
instead of one big .RData file, then you could use a revision control
system like SVN.  Check out the data, work on it, check it in, then on
another machine just update to get the changes.

  However SVN doesn't work too well for binary files - conflicts being
hard to resolve without someone backing down - so maybe its not such a
good idea anyway...

  On unix boxes and derivatives, you can keep things in sync efficiently
with the 'rsync' command.  I think there are GUI addons for it, and
Windows ports.

Barry