[R] R on a flash drive

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed Aug 22 05:48:24 CEST 2007

On Wed, 22 Aug 2007, Williams Scott wrote:

> I often run R via a Ceedo virtualisation on a USB drive
> (http://www.ceedo.com/) with XP. It costs a few dollars to it this way,
> but is a very low stress installation and has worked flawlessly, albeit

It is not necessary though, as R does not need 'virtualisation'.  For
Windows this is covered in the rw-FAQ Q2.6.

> a little slower (barely noticeable).

Perhaps the overhead of Credo?  Once R starts up (which does take longer
on a slow drive) I found no time-able difference in 2.1.x (all the files
frequently used from disc are cached on startup).

It would be nice to give the R developers the credit for writing R in such
a way that it works well from slow media, instead of it being credited to
an unnecessary commercial product.

> Very handy if you are often working
> on various machines without administrator rights (as I do in clinic) -
> just plug in your USB and go directly back to your project. It then
> removes any trace of you (so they say) when you log out. And you can use
> it for other software (within limits though) you might want to carry
> around.

Many sites would not allow programs to be run from a USB drive or make it
a breach of usage conditions to do so.