[R] stupid question??

Charles C. Berry cberry at tajo.ucsd.edu
Mon Aug 20 23:38:01 CEST 2007

On Mon, 20 Aug 2007, Lynn Disney wrote:

> I am trying to run an R program in batch mode using R in Windows Server
> 2005. I have found several ways to do this, but keep getting the error
> message "expecting a \n or ; in the command". The main command that I
> have tried is: R CMD BATCH filename.txt from within R

You mean like this:

> R CMD BATCH filename.txt
Error: syntax error, unexpected SYMBOL, expecting '\n' or ';' in "R CMD"

???

If not and if you actually issued that line from the shell then there must
be an error in your 'filename.txt' script.

If so, this is an error in usage. You need to issue that command from a
shell (aka 'MSDOS prompt') or use system(), shell(), etc.

Chuck