[R] recommended combo of apps for new user?

John Kane jrkrideau at yahoo.ca
Sun Aug 19 01:44:57 CEST 2007

I'm just starting to get a grasp on how R works so
don't take my words too seriously but have a look at
http://addictedtor.free.fr/graphiques/ for some idea
of what R can do for publication quality graphics.  It
is always possible that you might need another
graphics package as well but I think it unlikely.

About the data bases I don't know really however you
might want to have a look at Frank Harrell's Hmic
package for things like labels. It also includes SAS
and SPSS import funtions as does the foreign package.

I'd say you definately need a code editor. I'm on
Windows and happy with Tinn-R but for Linux something
like http://ess.r-project.org/ seems to be
recommended.

If you have not already found it
Bob Muenchen's R for SAS and SPSS Users