[R] Suspected memory leak with R v.2.5.x and large matrices with dimnames set

Seth Falcon sfalcon at fhcrc.org
Sat Aug 18 21:21:00 CEST 2007

Hi Peter,

Peter Waltman <waltman at cs.nyu.edu> writes:
>    Admittedly,  this  may  not be the most sophisticated memory profiling
>    performed,  but  when using unix's top command, I'm noticing a notable
>    memory leak when using R with a large matrix that has dimnames
>    set.

I'm not sure I understand what you are reporting.  One thing to keep
in mind is that how memory released by R is handled is OS dependent
and one will often observe that after R frees some memory, the OS does
not report that amount as now free.

Is what you are observing preventing you from getting things done, or
just a concern that there is a leak that needs fixing?  It is worth
noting that the internal handling of character vectors has changed in
R-devel and so IMO testing there would make sense before persuing this
further, I suspect your results will be different.

+ seth

--
Seth Falcon | Computational Biology | Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center
BioC: http://bioconductor.org/