[R] Combine matrix

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at gmail.com
Fri Aug 17 05:18:57 CEST 2007

Try this.  We convert to data frame placing the row names in column 1, do
the merge, remove column 1 and convert back to matrix:

# test input
a <- matrix(1:25, nrow = 5,
  dimnames = list(letters[1:5], rep("A", 5)))
b <- matrix(1:40, nrow = 8,
  dimnames = list(rep(letters[1:2], each = 4), rep("B", 5)))

# 1. process
to.DF <- function(x) data.frame(rn = row.names(x), x, row.names = 1:nrow(x))
out <- as.matrix(merge(to.DF(a), to.DF(b), by = 1)[,-1])
colnames(out) <- c(colnames(a), colnames(b))
out

# 2. same but merge is done using sqldf
# assume same a, b and to.DF as before

library(sqldf)
DFa <- to.DF(a)
DFb <- to.DF(b)
out <- as.matrix(sqldf("select * from DFa join DFb using(rn)")[-1])
colnames(out) <- c(colnames(a), colnames(b))
out

# 3. same but uses sqldf and proto (which sqldf automatically loads)
# assume same a, b and to.DF as before

library(sqldf)
out <- as.matrix(sqldf("select * from a join b using(rn)",
  envir = proto(a = to.DF(a), b = to.DF(b)))[-1])