[R] Convert factor to numeric vector of labels

Bert Gunter gunter.berton at gene.com
Tue Aug 14 22:26:18 CEST 2007

Matt:

I believe you have confused issues.

Setting stringsAsFactors = FALSE would dramatically **increase** the amount
of memory used for storing character vectors, which is what factors are for.
So your proposed solution does exactly the opposite of what you want.

The issue you are worried about is when numeric fields are somehow
interpreted as non-numeric. This can happen for a variety of reasons (stray
characters in numeric fields,quotes around numbers,...). The solution is not
to set a global default that does the opposite of what you want in its
intended use, but to read the documentation and either set the appropriate
arguments (perhaps colClasses of read.table) or fix the original data before
R reads it (e.g. remove quotes and stray characters). Failing that, the
"one-off" solutions given are the correct way to handle what is a data
problem, not an R problem.

However, I should add that there are arguments for making stringsAsFactors =
FALSE; search the archives for discussions why. The memory penalty will have
to be paid, of course.

Bert Gunter
Genentech Nonclinical Statistics