[R] binomial simulation

Moshe Olshansky m_olshansky at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 14 02:06:43 CEST 2007

As I understand this,
P(T+ | D-)=1-P(T+ | D+)=0.05
is the probability not to detect desease for a person
at ICU who has the desease. Correct?

What I asked was whether it is possible to mistakenly
detect the desease for a person who does not have it?

Assuming that this is impossible the formula is below:

If there are N patients, each has a probability p to
have the desease (p=0.6 in your case) and q is the
probability to detect the desease for a person who has
it (q = 0.95 for ICU and q = 0.8 for a regular unit),
then

P(k have the desease AND m are detected) =
P(k have the desease)*P(m are detected / k have the
desease) =
C(N,k)*p^k*(1-p)^(N-k)*C(k,m)*q^m*(1-q)^(k-m)
where C(a,b) is the Binomial coefficient "a above b" -
the number of ways to choose b items out of a (when
the order does not matter). You of course must assume
that N >= k >= m >= 0 (otherwise the probability is
0).

To generate such pairs (k infected and m detected) you
can do the following:

k <- rbinom(N,1,p)
m <- rbinom(k,1,q)

Regards,