[R] Unexpected behavior in PBSmapping package

Haigh, Rowan HaighR at pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca
Mon Aug 13 19:24:06 CEST 2007

Hi David,
Thanks for the message. Essentially, the argument 'col' is treated like
a vector which remains independent from (X,Y) and is simply repeated as
need for the number of points. If you specify
col=c("red","blue","green","yellow") as below, and there are only 2
points, only "red" and "blue" will be used (hence the perceived
mismatch).

To keep your colour column matched with X,Y, there is an argument called
polyProps that automatically looks for the column "col". Unfortunately,
polyProps doesn't appear to be functional with EventData (bug, I think)
but will work with PolyData. Take a look at the R-code below. I've
redefined your EventData to be PolyData which can serve double duty as
EventData and PolyData, i.e., you can pass "events" to plotPoints() as
well as using "polyProps=events". I've also added the "label" field to
events to simplify things, and used PBSmapping's addLabels() function.

The plotPoints() code should have been able to do this with EventData
also. We will have to revisit this code. Thanks David for taking the
time to show us user-related problems. It helps us to re-evaluate
functionalities. Undoubtedly, the package has many little imperfections
but we try to iron them out over time.
Cheers, Rowan

### Begin Example ###
library( PBSmapping )

# Define some EventData
events <- as.PolyData( read.table( textConnection(
'PID X  Y  col
1 494 1494 red
2 497 1497 blue
3 500 1500 green
4 503 1503 yellow' ), header=TRUE, strings=FALSE ),
projection='UTM', zone=10 )
events$label <- toupper(substring(events$col,1,1));

par( mfrow=c(3,1) )

# Plot the events with plot limits large enough to show
# the full extent of all the symbols
plotPoints( events, pch=16, cex=5, polyProps=events,
   xlim=c(490,508), ylim=c(1490,1508),proj="UTM")
addLabels(events, polyProps=events, font=2, cex=2, col=1)

# Normal plot extents; partial symbols cut off by edges
# of plotting region (as expected)
plotPoints( events, pch=16, cex=5, polyProps=events,proj="UTM")
addLabels(events, polyProps=events, font=2, cex=2, col=1)

## Now use more-restrictive plot limits
plotPoints( events, pch=16, cex=5, polyProps=events,
   xlim=c(499,505), ylim=c(1499,1505),proj="UTM")
addLabels(events, polyProps=events, font=2, cex=2, col=1)

### End example ###

P.S. Once you've defined your EventData/PolyData/PolySet with attribute
projection="UTM", plotMap() will attempt to use this but plotLines() and
plotPoints() will simply tell you if it matched the specified projection
in the function call. When you specified plotPoints(...,proj=TRUE), you
are probably overriding the earlier specified UTM projection (of events)
with proj=1. In this case, the 2 projections (UTM, 1) are the same. If
your Poly dataset was set to projection="LL", they would not be.