[R] Need Help: Installing/Using xtable package

Seth Falcon sfalcon at fhcrc.org
Thu Aug 9 19:52:04 CEST 2007

Peter Dalgaard <p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk> writes:

> M. Jankowski wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Let me know if I need to ask this question of the bioconductor group.
>> I used the bioconductor utility to install this package and also the
>> CRAN package.install function.
>>
>> My computer crashed a week ago. Today I reinstalled all my
>> bioconductor/R packages. One of my scripts is giving me the following
>> error:
>>
>> in my script I set:
>> library("xtable")
>> print.xtable(....
>>
>> and receive this error:
>> Error : could not find function "print.xtable"
>>
>> This is a new error and I cannot find the source.
>>
> Looks like the current xtable is no longer exporting its print methods.
> Why were you calling print.xtable explicitly in the first place?

Indeed, xtable now has a namespace.  The S3 methods are not exported
because they should not be called directly; rather, the generic
function (in this case print) should be called.

The addition of the namespace is really a good.  Yes, it will cause
some hicups for folks who were calling the methods directory (tsk
tsk).  But the addition fixes breakage that was occuring due to
internal xtable helper functions being masked.

+ seth

--
Seth Falcon | Computational Biology | Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center
BioC: http://bioconductor.org/