[R] prediction using gam

Simon Wood s.wood at bath.ac.uk
Wed Aug 8 19:36:46 CEST 2007

Without seeing the data and results it's hard to say. mgcv::predict.gam is
already `safe' so that's not the issue. It's also pretty heavily tested, so a
problem with that function wouldn't be the first place I'd look. How `large
positive' are the predictions relative to the observed response? How well do
the x1,x2 cover the unit square? Smoothers often do not extrapolate well even
over quite modest distances...

Slight negative predictions are not really surprising, given that the model
you have fitted allows -ve fitted values. You could fix this by using a log
link (with gaussian or Gamma family).

If you think the results are not right, I can take a look at what's happening
if you send me the data, R and mgcv version numbers and exact commands
generating the problem (`off line'). I would not use the data for any other
purpose of course. It may take a little while to get to however, as I've one
or two local difficulties here at the moment.

best,
Simon