[R] Changing font in boxplots

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed Aug 8 15:58:34 CEST 2007

On Wed, 8 Aug 2007, G Iossa, School Biological Sciences wrote:

> Hi John,
>
> Thanks so much for such a quick reply.
> I have tried to set all to Times font running
>
> par(font.lab=6) (not 4, maybe this is a local setting on my machine?)

'6' is a setting specific to certain devices on Windows.  You should
really be using font families (which are quite new and so not used in
many of the introductions).

 	par(family="serif")

will change the default for all the text on subsequent plots to be in
a serif font, which on the windows() device is (by default) Times.

The R posting guide does ask you to tell us your OS, so that points like
this do not have to be guessed at.

> but now the boxplot shown has the x and y labels in Times New Roman and the
> x and y axis still in Arial. Any idea why R is not setting those in Times?

Because you did not ask it to.  The font of axis annotation is set by
font.axis, not font.lab (which is controls title()'s xlab and ylab and
nothing in axis()).  See ?axis and ?par, both of which make this clear.

John Kane has claimed that what inline pars are used by boxplot() is 'not
clear from ?boxplot', but the lack of clarity is his, not in the
documentation. ?boxplot refers you to ?bxp, and that spells out exactly
which inline pars are used.

>>> http://www.bio.bris.ac.uk/people/Iossa.htm

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk