[R] Changing font in boxplots

G Iossa, School Biological Sciences G.Iossa at bristol.ac.uk
Wed Aug 8 15:27:42 CEST 2007

Hi John,

Thanks so much for such a quick reply.
I have tried to set all to Times font running

par(font.lab=6) (not 4, maybe this is a local setting on my machine?)

but now the boxplot shown has the x and y labels in Times New Roman and the
x and y axis still in Arial. Any idea why R is not setting those in Times?

Thanks a lot for your advice,
Graziella

--On 08 August 2007 09:16 -0400 John Kane <jrkrideau at yahoo.ca> wrote:

> I don't know if boxplot will accept a font argument.m
> From ?boxplot it is not clear.
> You may need to set the par() command before the
> boxplot
>
> Example:
> par(font.lab=4)
> boxplot(mass ~ family, data=mydata, ylab="mass %",
> xlab="family",las=1, cex.axis=1)
>
> --- "G Iossa, School Biological Sciences"
> <G.Iossa at bristol.ac.uk> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I am very new to R and this might be a simple
>> question but I have looked
>> everywhere you suggest before writing to you.
>>
>> I am trying to change font type from san-serif to a
>> serif (Times New
>> Romans) on all labels and axis of my boxplot. I have
>> used this function in
>> other plots before, e.g.:
>>
>> plot(residuals~lnlifespan, data=mydata, pch=psymb,
>> font=6, xlab="ln
>> reproductive lifespan", ylab="residuals ln mass",
>> font.lab=6, cex=1.5,
>> cex.axis=1.5, cex.lab=1.5)
>>
>> and found that font.lab or font.axis=6 gives Times
>> font. However, when I
>> try for boxplot:
>>
>> boxplot(mass ~ family, data=mydata, ylab="mass %",
>> xlab="family",
>> font.axis=6,  font=6, par(las=1), cex.axis=1)
>>
>> it does not work (R does not give any warning
>> messages). I have also tried
>> family="Times" but without success. Any idea of why
>> is not doing it and
>> what I can do to get Times font on my boxplot?
>> I run R on Windows.
>>
>> Thanks a lot,
>> Graziella

>> Dr. Graziella Iossa
>>
>> Mammal Research Unit
>> School Biological Sciences
>> University of Bristol
>> Woodland Road
>> Bristol BS8 1UG, UK
>>
>> E-mail: G.Iossa at bristol.ac.uk
>> Tel 0044 (0)117 9288918
>> Fax 0044 (0)117 3317985
>> http://www.bio.bris.ac.uk/research/mammal/index.html
>> http://www.bio.bris.ac.uk/people/Iossa.htm

>> and provide commented, minimal, self-contained,
>> reproducible code.
>>

>       Ask a question on any topic and get answers from real people. Go to
> Yahoo! Answers and share what you know at http://ca.answers.yahoo.com

Dr. Graziella Iossa

Mammal Research Unit

E-mail: G.Iossa at bristol.ac.uk