[R] Robust Standard Errors for lme object

Doran, Harold HDoran at air.org
Tue Aug 7 15:55:36 CEST 2007

Lucy:

Why are you interested in robust standard errors from lme? Typically,
robust standard errors are sought when there is model misspecification
due to ignoring some covariance among units with a group.

But, a mixed model is designed to directly account for covariances among
units within a group such that the standard errors more adequately
represent the true sampling variance of the parameters.

So, the lme standard errors are robust in a sense that they are
presumably correct if you have your model correctly specified.

It would do better service to explain your issue a little more to get
better help.

Harold