[R] Function for trim blanks from a string(s)?

adiamond adiamond at csidentity.com
Mon Aug 6 21:15:02 CEST 2007

I feel like an idiot posting this because every language I've ever seen has a
string function that trims blanks off strings (off the front or back or
both).  Ideally, it would process whole data frames/matrices etc but I don't
even see one that processes a single string.  But I've searched and I don't
even see that.  There's a strtrim function but it does something completely
different.