[R] FW: Selecting undefined column of a data frame (was [BioC]read.phenoData vs read.AnnotatedDataFrame)

Steven McKinney smckinney at bccrc.ca
Fri Aug 3 20:10:37 CEST 2007

I see now that for my example

> foo <- data.frame(Filename = c("a", "b"))
> foo[, "FileName"]
NULL

the issue is in this clause of the
"[.data.frame" extractor.

The lines
        if (drop && length(y) == 1L)
            return(.subset2(y, 1L))
return the NULL result just before the
error check
        cols <- names(y)
        if (any(is.na(cols)))
            stop("undefined columns selected")
is performed.

Is this intended behaviour, or has a logical
bug crept into the "[.data.frame" extractor?

    if (missing(i)) {
        if (missing(j) && drop && length(x) == 1L)
            return(.subset2(x, 1L))
        y <- if (missing(j))
        else .subset(x, j)
        if (drop && length(y) == 1L)
            return(.subset2(y, 1L)) ## This returns a result before undefined columns check is done.  Is this intended?
        cols <- names(y)
        if (any(is.na(cols)))
            stop("undefined columns selected")
        if (any(duplicated(cols)))
            names(y) <- make.unique(cols)
        nrow <- .row_names_info(x, 2L)
        if (drop && !mdrop && nrow == 1L)
            return(structure(y, class = NULL, row.names = NULL))
        else return(structure(y, class = oldClass(x), row.names = .row_names_info(x,
            0L)))
    }

> sessionInfo()
R version 2.5.1 (2007-06-27)
powerpc-apple-darwin8.9.1

locale:
en_CA.UTF-8/en_CA.UTF-8/en_CA.UTF-8/C/en_CA.UTF-8/en_CA.UTF-8

attached base packages:
[1] "stats"     "graphics"  "grDevices" "utils"     "datasets"  "methods"   "base"

other attached packages:
     plotrix         lme4       Matrix      lattice
     "2.2-3"  "0.99875-4" "0.999375-0"     "0.16-2"

Should this discussion move to R-devel?

Steven McKinney

Statistician
Molecular Oncology and Breast Cancer Program
British Columbia Cancer Research Centre

email: smckinney +at+ bccrc +dot+ ca

tel: 604-675-8000 x7561

BCCRC