[R] line widths of plotting symbols in the lattice

Deepayan Sarkar deepayan.sarkar at gmail.com
Wed Aug 1 01:02:33 CEST 2007

On 7/31/07, Uwe Ligges <ligges at statistik.uni-dortmund.de> wrote:

> Stephen Tucker wrote:
> > Dear List,
> >
> > Sorry, this is very simple but I can't seem to find any information regarding
> > line widths of plotting symbols in the lattice package.
> >
> > For instance, in traditional graphics:
> >
> >> plot(1:10,lwd=3)
> >> points(10:1,lwd=2,col=3)
> >
> > 'lwd' allows control of plotting symbol line widths.
>

> 'lwd' is documented in ?gpar (the help page does not show up for me,
> I'll take a closer look why) and works for me:
>
> xyplot(1:10 ~ 1:10, type = "l", lwd = 5)

I think the point is that lwd doesn't work for _points_, and that is a
bug (lplot.xy doesn't pass on lwd to grid.points). I'll fix it,
meanwhile a workaround is to use grid.points directly, e.g.

library(grid)
xyplot(1:10 ~ 1:10, cex = 2, lwd = 3,
       panel = function(x, y, ...) grid.points(x, y, gp = gpar(...)))

-Deepayan