[R] general question about use of list

Leeds, Mark (IED) Mark.Leeds at morganstanley.com
Mon Apr 30 15:52:31 CEST 2007

it's also not unbiased.

-----Original Message-----
From: r-help-bounces at stat.math.ethz.ch
[mailto:r-help-bounces at stat.math.ethz.ch] On Behalf Of Y G
Sent: Monday, April 30, 2007 8:15 AM
To: r-help at stat.math.ethz.ch
Subject: [R] general question about use of list

Hi,

is this list only related to R issues or it has a broader context
regarding questions and discussions about statistics. Is there any other
email list or forum for that? For example, I have a question regarding
variance. It is defined as:
variance = sum(sq(Xi-mean)) / (N-1)
and I never understood why not define it as variance =
sum(absolute(Xi-mean) / (N-1)

I read somewhere that this cannot be differentiated on 0. But, why is it
necessary to be able to differentiate it?

Thanks.