[R] problem installing Rpmi : mpi.h...Found in /usr/include/lam, yet "libmpi not found"

nicolas bertin nbertin at gsc.riken.jp
Fri Apr 27 04:50:20 CEST 2007

I cannot manage to install Rmpi_0.5-3
... using the regular "Rshell" install.packages("Rpmi")

I followed the advice of Martin to run the shell install command and
specify the location of mpi (located in "/usr/lib64/lam/" on my machine)
That is :
R CMD  INSTALL --configure-args="--with-mpi=/usr/lib64/lam"
R/Rmpi_0.5-3.tar.gz

But still get the following error
	* Installing *source* package 'Rmpi' ...
	Try to find mpi.h ...
	Found in /usr/include/lam
	Try to find libmpi or libmpich ...
	checking for main in -lmpi... no
	libmpi not found. exiting...
	ERROR: configuration failed for package 'Rmpi'
	** Removing '/usr/lib64/R/library/Rmpi'

Is there anything I do wrong, or any advice on what to check to figure
out the source of my problem?

Thank you for your help

Nicolas Bertin
GSC / RIKEN Yokohama