[R] NA and NaN randomForest

Liaw, Andy andy_liaw at merck.com
Wed Apr 25 15:58:17 CEST 2007

Hi Clayton,

If you use the formula interface, then it should do what you want:

R> library(randomForest)
randomForest 4.5-18
Type rfNews() to see new features/changes/bug fixes.
R> iris1 <- iris[-(1:5),]
R> iris2 <- iris[1:5,]
R> iris2[1, 3] <- NA
R> iris2[3, 1] <- NA
R> iris.rf <- randomForest(Species ~ ., iris1)
R> predict(iris.rf, iris2[-5])
[1] <NA>   setosa <NA>   setosa setosa
Levels: setosa versicolor virginica

The problem, of course, is that the formula interface is not suitable
for data with large number of variables.  I'll look into doing the same
thing in the default method.

Andy

From: clayton.springer at novartis.com