[R] Help with saptial analysis (cluster)

Francisco Pastor pastor_fco at gva.es
Wed Apr 25 12:33:42 CEST 2007

Hi R-users

I'm a beginner with R and statistics, so I need some help to start my data
analysis. I've been reading some docs and tutorials on R and cluster analysis.
I've got a large dataset (102000 points) with values of longitude, latitude and
temperature and want to see if I can find groups (clusters).

Following some tutorials I can look for principal components but get an error
with calculation of distances:

> matriz.distancias<-dist(comp.obs)
Error in vector("double", length) : specified vector size is too big (translated
from spanish)

So, my questions are: is the dataset too big? could you point me to any docs
explaining how to study spatially distributed data (lon,lat,data)?

Thanks in advance

Francisco Pastor
Meteorology department
Fundación CEAM