[R] R as a server on Linux

Markus Loecher markus at insightfromdata.com
Tue Apr 24 20:15:43 CEST 2007

Hi,
I am trying to avid the somewhat costly startup overhead of launching
a separate R executable for each "client" request on Linux.
My current architecture is such that My Java client explicitly calls
R in batch mode and passes it certain parameters. The initital
startup takes almost 10 seconds because R has to load a bunch of
libraries as well as a moderately large, previously created workspace.
I am thinking that it would be so much more eficient to instead have
R act as a server and fork off a thread for each client query. Is
that possible at all ?

Thanks!
Markus