[R] Fitting multinomial response in structural equation

John Fox jfox at mcmaster.ca
Sun Apr 22 00:59:59 CEST 2007

Dear adschai,

I'm not sure that I entirely follow what you want to do, but if the response
really is qualitative I don't see the sense in transforming it into a single
quantitative variable. Nor does the strategy of generating 24 dichotomous,
separately modelled responses make sense, since these are correlated. In
some circumstances, however, one can resolve a polytomous response into a
set of *nested* dichotomies, which are then independent of one another.
Finally, I wouldn't as a general matter recommend fitting any statistical
model to a 24-category response.

I suspect that you'd do well to find someone with whom you can about your
research problem.

Regards,
 John

John Fox, Professor