[R] cat() to STDERR

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Sat Apr 21 16:14:15 CEST 2007

On Sat, 21 Apr 2007, ivo welch wrote:

> I spoke to soon.  cat("hello", file=stderr()) does not "punch through"
> R CMD BATCH test.R.  Is there a way to have stderr() messages escape
> the log and go directly to the invoking terminal (i.e., under
> linux/unix, late-release gentoo).  Maybe this should require a
> different name than "BATCH", so as to not break scripts that rely on
> nothing escaping.  I find it very convenient in long scripts written
> in perl or C to have the ability to write "blips" to the terminal,
> too...

Well, R CMD BATCH sends STDERR to the file (the help does say

      Run R non-interactively with input from 'infile' and send output
      (stdout/stderr) to another file.

) but look at the script: in 2.4.1 Unix-alikes

cat ${in} | ${R_HOME}/bin/R ${opts} ${R_BATCH_OPTIONS} >${out} 2>&1

is the key part.  So

R --vanilla < infile > outfile

is likely to do what you want.

In 2.5.0 Rscript is even easier to use.