[R] importing sas datasets

Daniel Nordlund res90sx5 at verizon.net
Sat Apr 21 09:15:36 CEST 2007

I have been wrong before, I will be wrong again in the future, but as far as I can tell sas.get is still broken in the Windows version of Hmisc.  The work around that has been described several times does solve the problem.

> An alternative in Hmisc that Frank Harrell pointed out
> is to do a SAS export file and a special version of
> the format file.
>
> It is described in the Hmisc reference manual See
> sasxport.get . It worked just fine for me on a couple
> of test files. I don't remember but I think you're
> stuck with the 8 character variable names though.

If the sasxport.get function works for your purposes, go for it.  But if you have access to SAS and have SAS datasets that you want to use in R, I would rather import them directly than to go to the extra step of creating a sas xport file and then importing that.

Dan

Daniel Nordlund
Bothell, WA