[R] Memory increase in R

Hong Su An anhong at msu.edu
Wed Apr 18 21:20:26 CEST 2007

Dear All:

Pleas help me to increase the memory in R.

I am trying to make euclidean distance matrix.
The number of low in data is 500,000. Therefore, the dimension of euclidean
distance matrix is 500,000*500,000.

When I run the data in R. R could not make distance matrix because of memory
allocation problem.

In order increase memory, I read the FAQ and follow the instruction as
below:

You may also set the amount of available memory manually. Close R, then
right-click on your R program icon (the icon on your desktop or in your
programs directory). Select ``Properties'', and then select the ``Shortcut''
tab. Look for the ``Target'' field and after the closing quotes around the
location of the R executible, add

 --max-mem-size=500M

It does not work.
I have tried other computers in also does not work.

When I add the --max-mem-size=3Gb in Target field. There is error like as
below:

“The name "C:\Documents and Settings\Hong Su An\My
Documents\R\R-2.4.1\bin\Rgui.exe"--max-mem-size=1024M specified in the
Target box is not valid”

I use R2.4.1. in window xp with sp2 and 4Gb RAM.

Have a nice day.

Hong Su An.
anhong at msu.eud