[R] read.spss (package foreign) and SPSS 15.0 files

Charilaos Skiadas skiadas at hanover.edu
Tue Apr 17 00:30:25 CEST 2007

On Apr 16, 2007, at 10:41 AM, John Kane wrote:
> --- Charilaos Skiadas <skiadas at hanover.edu> wrote:
>>
>> It is not an "export" option, it is a "save as"
>> option. I don't have
>> a 14 to check, but on a 15 I just go to File -> Save
>> As, and change
>> the "Save as type" field to "Comma Delimited
>> (.*.csv)". (I suppose
>> tab delimited would be another option). Then there
>> are two check-
>> boxes below the window that allow a bit further
>> customizing, one of
>> them is about using value labels where defined
>> instead of data values.
>
> I'm now back on a machine with SPSS 14.  No csv option
> that I can see.  Perhaps an enhancement to v15.

I don't have a 14, but I did check a 13 today and you are correct, no
csv option is there, which in my opinion is quite unacceptable for a
statistical package that is on its 13/14th version. But there was an
option for "Excel 97 and ...", and that seemed to allow using value
labels instead of the values (again you have to check the
corresponding box). So perhaps that would be an option.

Haris Skiadas
Hanover College