[R] Nonparametric Effect size indices

Chuck Cleland ccleland at optonline.net
Fri Apr 13 12:07:53 CEST 2007

Martin Plöderl wrote:
> Hello!
>
> For comparing two non-normally distributed samples, Leech (2002) suggested
> to report nonparametric effect size indices, such as Vargha & Delaney's A or
> Cliff's d. I tried to search the R-sites, but could not find related
> procedures or packages that include nonparametric effect sizes.
> Thank you for your help!
>
> Citation: Leech (2002). A call for greater use of nonparametric statistics.
> Paper presented at the Annual Meeting of the Mid-South Educational Research
> Association, Chattanooga, TN, November 6-8.

  Based on the description of Cliff's d in
http://www.florida-air.org/romano06.pdf, you could do something like the
following:

g1 <- c(1,1,2,2,2,3,3,3,4,5)
g2 <- c(1,2,3,4,4,5)

# Dominance matrix
sign(outer(g1, g2, FUN="-"))
      [,1] [,2] [,3] [,4] [,5] [,6]
 [1,]    0   -1   -1   -1   -1   -1
 [2,]    0   -1   -1   -1   -1   -1
 [3,]    1    0   -1   -1   -1   -1
 [4,]    1    0   -1   -1   -1   -1
 [5,]    1    0   -1   -1   -1   -1
 [6,]    1    1    0   -1   -1   -1
 [7,]    1    1    0   -1   -1   -1
 [8,]    1    1    0   -1   -1   -1
 [9,]    1    1    1    0    0   -1
[10,]    1    1    1    1    1    0

mean(rowMeans(sign(outer(g1, g2, FUN="-"))))
[1] -0.25

  If you can point us to a description of Vargha & Delaney's A, someone
can likely suggest a way of obtaining that too.