[R] Reasons to Use R

Douglas Bates bates at stat.wisc.edu
Wed Apr 11 16:03:41 CEST 2007

On 4/10/07, Wensui Liu <liuwensui at gmail.com> wrote:
> Greg,
> As far as I understand, SAS is more efficient handling large data
> probably than S+/R. Do you have any idea why?

SAS originated at a time when large data sets were stored on magnetic
tape and the only reasonable way to process them was sequentially.
Thus most statistics procedures in SAS act as filters, processing one
record at a time and accumulating summary information.  In the past
SAS performed a least squares fit by accumulating the crossproduct of
[X:y] and then using the using the sweep operator to reduce that
matrix. For such an approach the number of observations does not
affect the amount of storage required.  Adding observations just
requires more time.

This works fine (although there are numerical disadvantages to this
approach - try mentioning the sweep operator to an expert in numerical
linear algebra - you get a blank stare) as long as the operations that
you wish to perform fit into this model.  Making the desired
operations fit into the model is the primary reason for the
awkwardness in many SAS analyses.

The emphasis in R is on flexibility and the use of good numerical
techniques - not on processing large data sets sequentially.  The
algorithms used in R for most least squares fits generate and analyze
the complete model matrix instead of summary quantities.  (The
algorithms in the biglm package are a compromise that work on
horizontal sections of the model matrix.)

If your only criterion for comparison is the ability to work with very
large data sets performing operations that can fit into the filter
model used by SAS then SAS will be a better choice.  However you do
lock yourself into a certain set of operations and you are doing it to
save memory, which is a commodity that decreases in price very
rapidly.

As mentioned in other replies, for many years the majority of SAS uses
are for data manipulation rather than for statistical analysis so the
filter model has been modified in later versions.