[R] Reasons to Use R

Greg Snow Greg.Snow at intermountainmail.org
Wed Apr 11 00:27:50 CEST 2007

I think SAS has the database part built into it.  I have heard 2nd hand
of new statisticians going to work for a company and asking if they have
SAS, the reply is "Yes we use SAS for our database, does it do
statistics also?"  Also I heard something about SAS is no longer
considered an acronym, they like having it be just a name and don't want
the fact that one of the S's used to stand for statistics to scare away
companies that use it as a database.

Maybe someone more up on SAS can confirm or deny this.

Also one issue to always look at is central control versus ease of
extendability.  If you have a program that is completely under your
control and does one set of things, then extending it to a new model
(big data) is fairly straight forward.  R is the opposite end of the
spectrum with many contributers and many techniques.  Extending some
basic pieces to be very efficient with big data could be done easily,
but would break many other pieces.  Getting all the different packages
to conform to a single standard in a short amount of time would be near
impossible.

With R's flexibility, there are probably some problems that can be done
quicker with a proper use of biglm than with SAS and I expect that with
some more work and maturity the SQLiteDF package may start to rival SAS
as well on certain problems.  While SAS is a useful program and great at
certain things, there are some tecniques that I would not even attempt
using SAS that are fairly straigh forward in R (I remember seeing some
SAS code to do a bootstrap that included a datastep to read in and
extract information from a SAS output file, <<SHUDDER>>  SAS/ODS has
improved this, but I would much rather bootstrap in R/S-PLUS than
anything else).

Remember, everything is better than everything else given the right
comparison.

--
Gregory (Greg) L. Snow Ph.D.
Statistical Data Center