[R] sas.get problem

John Kane jrkrideau at yahoo.ca
Wed Apr 11 00:02:25 CEST 2007

I  have 3 SAS files all in the directory F:/sas, two
data files
and a format file :
form.ea1.sas7bdat
form.ea2.sas7bdat
sas.fmts.sas7bdat

F is a USB.

I am trying import them to R using "sas.get".

I have not used SAS since I was downloading data from
mainframe
and having to write JCL.  I had forgotten how bizarre
SAS can be.
I currently have not even figured out how to load the
files into SAS but
they look fine since I can import them with no problem
into SPSS.

I am using R2.4.1 under Windows XP
SAS files were created with SAS 9.x
They convert easily into SPSS 14

n the example below I have tried various versions of
the file names with
with no luck.
Can anyone suggest some approach(s) that I might take.

Example.

library(Hmisc)
mydata <- sas.get(library="F:/sas", mem="form.ea1",
             format.library="sas.fmts.sas7bdat",
           sasprog = '"C:Program Files/SAS/SAS
9.1/sas.exe"')

Error message  (one of several that I have gotten
while trying various things.)
The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax
is incorrect.
Error in sas.get(library = "F:/sas", mem = "form.ea1",
format.library = "sas.fmts.sas7bdat",  :
        SAS job failed with status 1
In addition: Warning messages:
1: sas.fmts.sas7bdat/formats.sc? or formats.sas7bcat
not found. Formatting ignored.
 in: sas.get(library = "F:/sas", mem = "form.ea1",
format.library = "sas.fmts.sas7bdat",
2: 'cmd' execution failed with error code 1 in:
shell(cmd, wait = TRUE, intern = output)