[R] &500 and above ignored

Jim Lemon jim at bitwrit.com.au
Tue Apr 10 12:17:46 CEST 2007

Constant Depièreux wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a data crunching program which causes me a problem.
>
> Some of the data are identified with an & sign followed by a integer.
> No problem is experienced when analysing data below &500, but value
> above are ignored.
>
> Is there some limitation in R on this topic?

Hi Constant,
As Ted replied, the question is somewhat mysterious. Are these data from
something like MS VBA code, where variable types can be specified with a
number of prefixed symbols?

If it is just a quirk of the data format and you know that the ampersand
is always followed by an integer (or a float or a double...) you could
just discard the ampersand when reading the data file.

gsub("&","",incoming_data)

Fancier substitutions that will not discard ampersands that are needed
are left to someone with a head for regular expressions

Jim