[R] Reasons to Use R

Greg Snow Greg.Snow at intermountainmail.org
Mon Apr 9 19:45:27 CEST 2007

The licences keep changing, some have in the past but don't now, some
you can get an additional licence for home at a discounted price. Some
it depends on the type of licence you have at work (currently our SAS
licence is such that the 3 people in my group can all have it installed,
but at most 1 can be using it at any 1 time, how does that affect
installing/using it at home).  I may be able to install some of the
software at home also, but for most of them I have given up trying to
figure out the legality of it and so I have not installed them at home
to be on the safe side.

Some of the doctors I work with who are also affiliated with the local
university have mentioned that they can get a discounted academic
version of SAS and could use that, but my interpretation of the academic
licence that one showed me (probably not the most recent) said (in my
interpretation, I am not a lawyer) that if they published the results
without paying a licence upgrade fee, they would be violating the
licence (the academic version was intended for teaching only).

The R licence on the other hand is pretty clear that I can install it
and use it pretty much anywhere I want.

You are right in correcting me, R is not the only package that can be
used on multiple computers.  I do think it is the most straight forward
of the good ones.

--
Gregory (Greg) L. Snow Ph.D.
Statistical Data Center