[R] Dealing with large nominal predictor in sem package

John Fox jfox at mcmaster.ca
Mon Apr 9 14:04:33 CEST 2007

Dear adschai,

It's not possible to know from your description exactly what you're doing,
but perhaps the following will help:

(1) I presume that your nominal variable is exogenous, since otherwise it
wouldn't be sensible to use 2SLS.

(2) You don't have to make your own dummy regressors for a nominal variable;
just represent it in the model as a factor as you would, e.g., in lm().

(3) Do you have at least as many instrumental variables (including the dummy
regressors) as there are structural coefficients to estimate? If not, the
structural equation is underidentified, which will produce the error that
you've encountered.

I hope this helps,
 John

John Fox